Thursday, October 20, 2005

My Sticking Uterus

To anwser Yvonne's comment to my last post:

Apparently, before I had both ovaries ripped out, I had endometriosis.


What is endometriosis?


The word "endometriosis" (say: "end-oh-me-tree-oh-sis") means a problem with the lining of the uterus. Endometrial tissue is usually only inside your uterus. However, if you have endometriosis, tissue from the lining of the uterus moves through the fallopian tubes and gets on your ovaries, in your pelvis, on your bladder or in other areas. When you have your period, this tissue swells and bleeds, just like the lining of your uterus. This is often painful, and scar tissue can form in your pelvic area.” (quoted from http://familydoctor.org/476.xml )


Eew!
I wrote “apparently” because I did not know I had this condition, no one did, because I had no symptoms. The usual symptoms include, pain, pain, pain, during menstruation, intercourse, bowel movements (thank-you Jesus for no pain!) and difficulty getting pregnant (thank-you Jesus for my girls!). Ok, I had some pain with my period but nothing midol couldn’t handle.

Anyway, this uterine tissue makes your insides “sticky” (a real medical term used by my surgeon). My uterus is glued to my colon. More eew! I ask Mr. Surgeon if I would ever have to have my uterus removed. He did not foresee any reason for that but if I ever came to him and said I wanted it out (…time-out here: did he say I would ask for more surgery? Not gonna happen!) he would send me to Winnipeg where a team of surgeons would work on me. It would be a big deal. My main reason for asking was because I wanted him to say “no”. I never want to do this again!

Yvonne:
I don’t know how many times I pushed that morphine button but I too would push it 3-4 times every time I woke up. I also thought I was sleeping for hours at a time but after waking up the 20th + time and it still was not morning I guessed I was dropping off for only a few minutes. I loved that button. I was in control. I got to recognize and love the little sound of the pump pushing out that 1mm of morphine. When my husband told me the next day that it only worked the first time I pushed it and only worked once every minute I learned to harness the power of the pump with the help of the desk clock I had Barry bring in. Cool stuff. I cried when they wanted to take it away but that’s another story for another day.

Labels: , ,

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

Links to this post:

<$BlogBacklinkControl$> <$BlogBacklinkTitle$> <$BlogBacklinkDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogBacklinkSnippet$>
posted by <$BlogBacklinkAuthor$> @ <$BlogBacklinkDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thunder Bay, ON, Canada

knitter, teacher,flutest, wife to Barry, mother to Sinead and Bronwyn, daughter, sister.

Powered by Blogger


free counter